Tracy Stebbins Voorhees (1890-1974) was descended on his father's side from a distinguished New Jersey family of Dutch origin. Born in New Brunswick, he graduated from Rutgers College with an A.B. in 1911 and an A.M. in 1914, then an LL.B. from Columbia Law School in 1915. He was admitted to the bar in New Jersey in 1915 and New York in 1918, and formed his first law firm in New York City in 1919. He was a partner in several firms for 22 years, until 1941.
Voorhees' involvement in health care administration began in 1932 with his appointment to the Board of Regents of Long Island Hospital in Brooklyn, N.Y. In 1935 he helped form a charitable organization named after his mother, Mary S. Voorhees. In 1938 he became president of Long Island College Hospital, and a year later became a trustee of the Blood Transfusion Betterment Association.
Health care led Voorhees into international affairs. In 1939-1940 he was assistant director, under Herbert Hoover, of the Finnish Relief Fund. In 1940 he was an advisor to Bundles for Britain, participating in its Blood for Britain program, and for two years a member of the Board of Directors of Relief for Belgium, Inc. In 1942 he became chairman of the Blood Donor Service of the American Red Cross as well as a civilian consultant to the Legal Division of the Surgeon General's Office.
In 1944-1946 Voorhees headed various medical and supply missions in the U.S. Armed Forces, and managed food relief operations in occupied Europe in 1946-1947. In 1948 he was appointed Assistant Secretary of the Army, advancing to Under Secretary of the Army in 1949-1950. In that position he played a prominent role in occupation policy for Germany and especially Japan. In 1948-1950 he was president of Army Emergency Relief, and in 1950-1953 vice chairman of the Committee on the Present Danger, which lobbied for a strong defense posture in Europe.
He chaired the President's Committee for Hungarian Refugee Relief 1956-1957, and was the president's personal representative for Cuban Refugee Relief in 1960-1961.
Voorhees served his Rutgers alma mater in various capacities: president of the Rutgers University Fund Council 1939-1940; member of the Board of Trustees from 1942, and the Board of Governors 1957-1965. He received the Rutgers University Award in 1941, an honorary LL.D. from Rutgers in 1950, and the Rutgers University Alumni Trustee Award in 1971. In July 1974 the Board of Governors named the portion of Rutgers between Hamilton Street and Seminary place "Voorhees Campus" in his honor. His papers were presented to Rutgers University Special Collections and University Archives in 1963-1971.